From Shandy to Craft Beer Marketer

It's always a journey to learn and discover something new as we grow.

Beer is not something that I know how to enjoy from the beginning.
Being brought up by a strict Chinese family, I was not exposed to any alcoholic drink until I turned 15.
I had my first Jolly Shandy which is less than 1% of ABV (Alcohol By Volume) during Chinese New Year that year.
It's fun to finally feel grown up that time when your parents finally allows you to touch the alcoholic drink which might be just soft drinks to most of the children now.
But it is different 10 years ago especially when you have strict parents.

My first exposure of beer was when I am 19.
A pint of Hoegaarden, a witbier from Belgium with 4.9% ABV.
I still remember clearly it was at The Library Restaurant and Bar, Avenue K (now The Library Coffee Bar). I do not like the taste of the beer when I first drink because of the bitterness and some other 'weird' taste of the beer.
Everyone need to have their first time to tryout something new.
Everything taste 'weird' when you first taste it right?
It same goes to me. I slowly got adapted to the taste, slowly learn how to appreciate the beer.
From Hoegaarden, I slowly learn to drink Stärker at OverTime Pub and Bistro, Paulaner and not forgetting Erdinger Weisbier from Germany.

CRAFT BEER..
This term is so unfamiliar to me then..
When I first got to know craft beer is when my brother came back from Penang 2 years ago.
He stayed in Penang last time and got transferred back to KL for work.
He tried Craft Beer in Australia and introduced it to me.. An amateur drinker..
He brought me to Taps Mont Kiara as he is looking for Live Band Bars in Klang Valley and Craft Beer in Klang Valley and it is the first on the list in Google.
We began to love the environment in Taps as the ambiance is different than the bars we used to visit like The Beer Factory and Movida.

Taps gave us a comfortable environment and a hangout place to chill out with friends after work and class and most importantly they have live bands at night! That's how we became the regular customers of Taps thanks to Google.

What do I know about craft beer?
Push away all the theory that we now what a microbrewery is about..
Who actually cares what is that when all you concern is just your drink..
I didn't know how to explain what is craft beer only until recently..
So when people ask, I would just say craft beer is a different beer than those commercial beers..
They have different flavours.. and they taste different too compared to Carlsberg and other normal beers..
And I would ask them to imagine having Passionfruit taste in their beer..
Or imagine drinking a beer that does not taste bitter but sour or sweet..
Sometimes when I ran out of words, I still explain it like that tho..
Cause I think that is the easiest way to explain what craft beer is despite knowing what microbreweries is all about in depth..

My first craft beer was the Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Ale which is 6% ABV..
I didn't know what is an ALE.. I only know my beer by Hoegaarden, Connor's, Erdinger and so on..
By the name, what capture me was HAZELNUT cause that is what I know it is..
Where other are just unknown to me..
I remember clearly that the smell is nutty, malty and the taste is a nutty hazelnut taste with a sweet finishing..
Then I began to try more varieties like the Passion fruit Wheat Ale from Pasteur Street, Brewdog's Elvis Juice and not forgetting my all time favourite the Huge Arker Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout from Anderson Valley.
I wasn't keen of drinking craft beer although there are a few of my favourite on the list..
I am just not into craft beer at that time.

I went on a vacation in Taipei, Taiwan and were just looking around for craft beer Taipei..
People who knows me, I go Taipei very often and is very familiar with the places there..
I went in to their Carrefour  and find for cheap craft beer to try it out..
Just to try the Taiwan Craft Beer..
As they have their own breweries in Taiwan..
And they are selling alcohol at a very cheap price..

We could get a bottle of craft beer at MYR 17 Taiwan but paying almost double in Malaysia. So we decided to try out the varieties of craft beer Taipei..


This Jasmine IPA has the hoppy taste..
Which is bitter.. but the after taste has the Jasmine tea taste which is refreshing and fresh because I like Jasmine..

We even visited on of the bar which is near our hostel..
Jolly Brewery.. I did not manage to take a picture of the Beers and the facade as we drop by quite late..
I started to be so into craft beer is when I found the Le Bledor craft beer at Jason's in Taipei 101 mall..
They are distributing free tasting to the consumers and were having promotions.
We managed to tastes all the range and the Amber Lager is the one that I liked most.
Why?
Because it does not have the bitter taste..
and it is the aroma of malt and taste of malt that I could taste of.. and it enlightened me with what Craft beer really are..


I like this brand of craft beer a lot and I bought 4 bottles back (it's 1 litre per bottle)..
Since it is cheap 2 Bottles for NTD499..
Wonder how I brought them back?
Because this particular brand of craft beer must be chilled..
and we have a 4.5 hours of flight.
What I did is I actually brought cooler bag over to Taiwan.
That's the essential item in my luggage bag. A cooler bag and some ice packs. You can continue the remaining of the story.

I also tried the Young's Double Chocolate Stout..
But it is nothing near the Rogue's Chocolate Stout..
It does not have the chocolate taste.. Just an ordinary stout..
Or maybe I did not chill it enough..
I don't know.. But I did not rate it high..

After I came back from Taiwan..
I've decided to try out more variants of craft beer in Taps..
I try all the Amber Ale, Lager and Stout. I started to learn how to appreciate craft beer.

How I start working with Taps?
I was a regular customer at Taps, they posted an ads looking for a Beer Marketer for a long time.
I could not remember since when I saw it.
I was not keen when I first see that ads as I have not graduated that time.
When I was ready to look for a job in January this year, I never thought of applying the Beer Marketer at Taps because at first I thought the position is not available anymore as it had been advertise for quite sometime.
I was working with Openrice as an intern.. and I know I am passionate in the F&B industry..
Dreaming to venture into a F&B industry in the future..

After hearing that the position is still vacant, I am just trying my luck to apply..
Never it once came into my mind that I actually got hired because I am not an experienced marketing personnel nor I am an excellent student.. and all I could promise as a Fresh Graduate is to learn and try my best in doing all the task that is assigned to me.. I chose to work in Taps rather than other big corporation because I feel comfortable working in the environment here..
Because I know there is no way that I could adapt myself in a big organisation..

Working here with Taps for about a month, allows me to learn how a SME run their business. Although it is a small organisation, everyone here are willing to teach and help each other..
I would say that no matter it is a small or big organisation, learning opportunity is equally available

In Taps, I also learnt more about craft beer.
I learnt that different types of beer are served differently in terms of serving glasses and temperature.

I was one of the participant of The Better Beer Festival 2016, I never thought that I would be one of the event planner in The Better Beer Festival this year. I am looking forward to the challenges that I will be facing in the event..
Even as a Beer Marketer in Taps.
I will try my best in doing all the task assigned and continue to learn more about the CRAFT BEER.

I am happy in doing what I am doing now..
I love to eat, drink, travel and now I am doing something that I am passionate about.. and will continue for a long long time..


Jolly Brewery (Taipei)
Address: 100, Taiwan, Taipei City, Zhongzheng District, 衡陽路60號
Phone Number: +886 2 7709 8223
Operating Hours: Sunday- Wednesday: 1130-1430
                                                                1730-2300
                             Thursday-Saturday: 1130-1430
                                                              1730-0000
*other outlets are available too!

Le Bledor 金色三麥 (Taipei)
Address: 110, Taiwan, Taipei City, Xinyi District, 松高路11號B1樓 (inside Eslite Xinyi Store)
Phone Number: +886 2 8789 5911 
Operating Hours: Sunday- Thursday: 1200-0000
                             Friday-Saturday: 1200-0100

*other outlets are available too! 


Taps Beer Bar  (Facebook Page)

Mont Kiara Outlet 
Address: G-1, 1 Mont Kiara Mall,
                1 Jalan Kiara, 
                Mont Kiara 
                50480 Kuala Lumpur 
Phone Number: 03 6206 5983
Operating Hours: 1100-2300

Changkat Outlet
Address: A-0-3 One Residency,
               1, Jalan Nagasari,
               50200 Kuala Lumpur
Operating Hours: Monday-Saturday: 1700-0100
                             Sunday: 1200-0100 
Phone Number: 03 2110 1560


Till then.
With love,
Miss Z

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Klang Bak Kut Teh and Regent Pandan Layered Cake

STAGE Bandar Mahkota Cheras

Mochu Locco Zakka Café